The Reading List #51

I've fallen into a pattern of including two fiction and two non-fiction books in each of these round-ups, and I think I like it. For a long time I said I wasn't a non-fiction kind of people, but times have changed and I'm really enjoying reading more of a variety.

Here's some of the latest things I've been reading:


Eating Animals, Jonathan Safran Foer


Foer spent three years immersing himself in the world of animal agriculture, to find out how the industry really worked behind the scenes and to work out his own opinion on related topics. This book is the culmination of that research and exploration.

This book is hugely informative and very readable. The narrative style is very friendly and there are chapters written by vegans, farmers, factory farmers and others involved at all stages of the agricultural industry. Some of those shared views that were completely unexpected so it made for interesting reading. There are some quite extreme views and examples shared, but a voice is given to a range of representatives from across the whole industry.


The Novel in the Viola, Natasha Solomons


In Spring 1938, Elise moves from Vienna to Tyneford, an English home, to become a parlour maid.  The war is coming and the whole world is shifting and changing. Including beautiful family letters, it's a story of love, family and change.

This novel was just lovely. Elise is a real fish out of water, baffled by lots of English customs and trying to pave her own path. It offers a fresh perspective of the war through a new pair of eyes - this story is slightly removed from all that is happening on the world stage yet at the same time completely involved and affected by it.


Happy - Why more or less of everything is absolutely fine, Derren Brown


This book is a study of happiness. A sweeping exploration of theories and views on happiness throughout the ages, Brown puts forward the view that there is too much focus on trying to shape our own destinies and the need to be in constant pursuit of 'happiness'.

I had been really looking forward to reading this, but I've got to admit I wasn't really a fan. It felt very long-winded and delivered something quite different to what I felt was suggested from the blurb and opening pages. It was a study of the history of happiness theory more than it was anything else. I think a part of my frustration also came from the fact he was writing off and rubbishing a lot of ideas and techniques that actually have helped both me and others I know a lot. Whilst I agree none of them are a miracle cure to happiness, I felt some of the statements made were far too sweeping.


The Book of Lost and Found, Lucy Foley


In London, 1986, Kate is bequeathed an old portrait. In Paris, 1939, Alice and Thomas meet again after ten years, both much changed. He is now an artist.

It's a very beautiful novel, with a lot of jumping around between time periods. The differences between the three time periods were very clear, so it didn't get confusing. The story is a love story which sweeps through the decades and keeps you guessing. I did wish I could learn more about some of the characters - I could happily read a whole novel on Alice, which I guess is a sign of how strong the characterisation is! I was less interested in the character of Kate, but on reflection she acts as more of a storytelling device, and a way to move the story through the years. It wasn't without a couple of flaws, but it's a really lovely, engaging read.


So there we have my latest round up of mini reviews - more will be on the way shortly...

Sophie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading List #7

Writing fiction as a way to move forwards.

The Reading List # 5