On having excess 'stuff'

I’ve got a bit of an issue with ‘stuff’.

I like having stuff.

Then I feel overcrowded and want it out.

I go through phases of collecting things, then feel the need to purge and get them all out.
It happens with everything.

I used to buy so many magazines you wouldn’t believe. When I had no room to keep them, I’d keep a folder of the front covers. One day, I recycled them all.

I went through a phase of buying loads of (fairly cheap) clothes, then had a day where I needed to sort through everything and keep only the things that were flattering and that I loved.

I bought so much makeup and so many toiletries there’s no way one person could use it all and I was running out of space to store it. Then I suddenly couldn’t bear how many products were crowding me out. I’ve been using everything up, so I can get to the point where I have one of everything, plus a backup if said item is close to running out.

I’ve always been like it.

I feel such an urge to collect or buy a certain thing, which is followed weeks or months or years later by a feeling of everything being too crowded, and of needing to get rid of it all.

When I was younger and living at home I used to have ruthless clear-outs all the time. Ruthless to the point that my parents would sometimes have to question what I was throwing out or giving away.

I’ve now reached a turning point and realised three things:

It’s a waste of money. 
It’s a waste of energy. 
It’s a waste of space.

I’m teaching myself to change my spending habits, to avoid the obsessive buying of whatever I’m ‘into’ at the time. 

I’ve realised I care more about experiences than things. I’d so much rather see a show or have a weekend away than add three things to my wardrobe.

I’m trying to work on a ‘one in, one out’ policy, not buying things until something else has run out or broken.

Of course there will be slip-ups, but I’m determined to stop crowding myself out with ‘stuff’ I attach little feeling to.

I want to surround myself with things I love, with things which have meaning, and with things that make me feel great.


Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clicking 'Reply'

Made in Dagenham, NK Theatre Arts

Time to Talk Day, 2017