Victoria Park

Opposite my flat, there is a park.



I’ve done a lot of sitting in it, a lot of thinking.

In the six months I’ve lived here a lot has changed, lots of decisions have been made, and lots of thoughts have been thought.

It’s only small, a combination of grass and trees and flowerbeds, but it’s the first time I’ve had a regular outdoor space that lets me clear my head.

The luxury of having it outside my flat is one I’ve made sure I enjoy.

One thing I’ve learnt over the past couple of years is how important it is to lend proper time to thinking, to your thoughts.

When you go through a period where your thoughts become ‘out of control’, or ‘disordered’, or ‘unhealthy’, you have to reassess the way you deal with those thoughts.

My head would be spinning with a thousand things at once, all screaming at me that they were urgent, and none of which I could switch off.



In a previous job, I took the decision to walk the 3.5 miles each way, every day, to work. This was originally motivated by being in a place where anxiety meant I couldn’t step on the bus, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made.

I had spent so long trying so hard to block out my thoughts because they had become too overwhelming, and it wasn’t working.

What I learnt on those walks was how valuable it can be to let those thoughts run wild. Give them a bit of space to speak.

But do it on your terms.



I learnt that I could let those thoughts run their course, and when I got to the office or got home, I could distance myself from them, as I’d had time to work through them.

That time and space for thoughts has now been happening in this park.

A little, quiet sanctuary, with the wind, weekend strollers, and dogs for company.

Space to think, time to think, on my terms.

This is what I have learnt.

And when I move away, in a matter of days, I will find a new space, a new place and new pockets of time.


And the learning process will continue.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clicking 'Reply'

Made in Dagenham, NK Theatre Arts

Time to Talk Day, 2017